"Helping you survive the elements of the modern world and make it safely Home to the Wild."

"Helping you survive the elements of the modern world and make it safely Home to the Wild."

Tuesday, February 9, 2016


THE FIRST FAMILY TRIP TO THE CABIN

 
As we pulled away from the stream I was pretty sure Moose would take to the water.  He may have been a big wimp but I was convinced he would not be left behind! He was a much bigger, stronger dog than his mother! He just needed to have a little more motivation.

We started up the long, winding hill.  As the trail wends its way up to higher country there are open places you can look down to see the stream.  I looked back just in time to see him plunge into the river with great determined leaps! He was NOT going to be left out there in the woods, alone!  Before we made the top of the hill he had caught up and was in his usual place right behind the machine.

 At the top of the hill we stopped to give him a rest.   I petted him all over, telling him he was a good dog and I was glad that he joined us.

The rest of the journey was accomplished with no more great obstacles.  The few remaining creeks, though flooded, were all small enough that we were able to drive through them easily.  The water was deep and we were soaked again with each crossing.  Though cold and soaked to the skin, by the time we made it to town, we were grateful for the safe trip.  Soon we would be home where a hot meal, dry cloths and warm bed were waiting. 

I was bringing another valuable lesson back home with me from the wilderness.   Many times in our lives we come against obstacles that seem insurmountable with no solution. But if we don't give up and we persevere through the pain and discomfort we will make it through.   We really can accomplish more than we think we can, when we have to!

This lesson would be reinforced again and again on our trips into the wilderness and mountains.  A lesson that would give me strength to face the challenges, that unknown to me at that time, lay ahead.

Back at home, all I could think about was going back out to the cabin.  Nothing else could quite compare with the excitement, adventure and peace of the wilderness.  It was a place I truly felt at home, a place where I was measured by how I faced the challenges, not by the cloths I wore, or the music I listened to, or whether I was part of the cool crowd or not.




If you are patient and willing to learn, the wilderness has a vast store of riches for those who care to discover them.  If someone is arrogant and unbendable unwilling to learn, the treasures of the wilderness will never be found.

Finally the day arrived in late summer, we were once again on our way!  This time the whole family was coming and we had 3 full sized 4 x 8 sheets of ¾ plywood strapped flat to the top of the trailer for the floor of the cabin.   We had to tie them down flat on top of the trailer since they were longer and wider than the trailer and they would not fit any other way.  We topped the load with two coolers of food and the ever present chainsaws, ropes, come-along and other tools that might be needed on the trail.

 Approaching the railroad bridge, our first challenge of the trip became obvious.   The walkway on the side of the railroad bridge that is for pedestrians and machine use is 46 inches wide, plywood is 48 inches wide, there was no way those boards were going through that way. My dad decided that taking the trailer up on the railroad tracks and pushing it across where the trains run was the best solution. 

 I could not believe that my dad would decide to take the trailer across the train side of the bridge!  I was terrified a train would come as we were half way across the 400 foot long bridge.  There had been people on three-wheelers and snow machines killed riding down the middle of the tracks and not able to get out of the way in time. 

 We wrestled the trailer up on the railroad tracks and began the task of pushing it across the bridge, my dad pulling from the front and my brother and I pushing as hard as we could. 

 Looking across the more than 400 feet of bridge and expecting a train to roar down the track at any moment we started off, pushing for all we were worth.

 Every minute seemed an eternity! Finally, we made the end of the bridge it had been the longest 400 hundred feet of my life.  Enormous relief flooded through me as we pulled the trailer from the tracks.  We sat down with a sigh of relief. 

We caught our breath and recovered our nerves. Then we walked back across the bridge to drive the machines across, hitch up and continue our trip.

 My mom and dad on the four-wheeler, my youngest brother on the top of the trailer sitting on the cooler, and my middle brother and I on the three- wheeler.  The dogs were running behind. 

All was right with my world once again I was headed back into the wilderness to spend several days working on the cabin and exploring the country nearby.

As we continued on into the bush we realized that that big load of plywood high up on the top of the trailer was going to be a problem! It was constantly shifting and there was no good way to tie it on tight enough. The constant bumping and bouncing would loosen the ropes and soon the ply wood would begin to shift. 

Scrambling up the next hill, just ahead, we could see the trail tilted precariously. As the trailer bumped behind the four wheeler it caught the edge of the trail, flipping over.  My youngest brother went flying into the underbrush, coolers crashed to the muddy trail, and the three heavy sheets of plywood spread out like a deck of cards.  My Dad felt the load lighten and stopped.  Was my little brother hurt?

No comments:

Post a Comment