"Helping you survive the elements of the modern world and make it safely Home to the Wild."

"Helping you survive the elements of the modern world and make it safely Home to the Wild."

Wednesday, March 2, 2016


A Monumental Task


Sorting through 7 years of accumulated treasures and the overloaded truck of treasures culled from 20 years at our previous place in Alaska is a job I have been dreading! 
Even though we don’t yet have an offer on the place, I know I have got to get started, if we are going to get it done in time for a closing this spring of summer!
.   

We spent much of the free time from last winter sorting through the treasures in the house.  This job has begun to actually wind down.  There are a remnants of the battle still scattered around the house and one room still needs some mop up action, but the end is in sight.

Looming on horizon is the shop with its piles of tools, exotic hardwoods hauled from Alaska and other treasures too important to part with. You know, all that stuff we haven’t needed in 20 years, or couldn’t find if we did need it.  Looming over each day, those piles aren't going anywhere unless I get a start!  If we are going to sell this place we are going to have to deal with it!

Squatting in the hillside behind the house, the barn waits with more of the same.  Equipment to fuel the shattered dreams of a farm.  Residue of countless projects stumbled through in a deep migraine fog. Jobs that HAD to be done even though I barely had the strength to get out of bed. Overwhelmed with a family and a farm to take care of, I stumbled on to the next project.

Scattered nearby are the piles of farm equipment essential for the farm powered by real horsepower, that was never to be.  More relics of broken dreams.  Dreams lost to years of illness and pain.

Last week I bolstered up may courage and attacked the upstairs of the barn (it was raining outside anyway!)  I dug into piles of wood scraps and years of old hay, shoveling and carrying it out to be burned.  It’s amazing how much garbage can pile up in a few years!

There was actually some good stuff in there too!  So I decided to stack it in three piles, stuff we are taking, stuff we can use when we remodel the bus for the trip, and stuff to sell or give away.

Chore time rolled around and I straightened my sore back from hauling countless loads of useless wood and hay out to the burn pile After  stacking the last 60 bales of hay into the corner I surveyed the job with satisfaction.  An awful lot more got accomplished than I ever imagined in just a few hours.  

 Maybe the shop and the outside will go faster than I think! 


 . 




3 comments:

  1. I know that feeling ! After moving to TN and back to NY 4 times! each time downsizing things and each time collecting those things the Lord gave back to me ! I feel for you ! I still need to sort out things from the last move back to NY. We so wish we could afford a nice place like yours, it has been our dream.

    Where will you go ?
    I am new to your blog and FB wall, going to follow on instagram as well.
    Blessings
    Linda Marie Finn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving is so very hard at times ! Dream Big and Follow your Path in this life !!!
      Linda

      Delete
  2. Hello, I have neglected the blog for a while, I have had a couple of jobs and getting ready to move. But we are planning to move back home to AK and am planning to be better at keeping up with the blog! :) to document our move across the continent! We are planning to move to our wilderness property that is 16 miles from the nearest rd. so it should be a real adventure!

    ReplyDelete